Sunday 10 July 2011

Sticky Date and Ginger Loaf (v)



I love love love gingerbread and sticky gingery cakes and my staple vegan cake of choice is thus Rose Elliot's fabulous parkin. But we all fancy different things at times and my recent decision to go totally vegan has meant my vegan cook books are getting more of a read of late. This is another Rose Elliot recipe, from her Vegan Feasts book (p164). I have tweaked it slightly in the method and by adding some of the ginger syrup in place of golden syrup.

For 2 2lb loaf cakes you need:
250g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp bicarb
125g stoned dates
50g (about 4 balls) stem ginger in syrup
125g light soft brown muscavado sugar
150g treacle
100g golden syrup
50g ginger syrup from jar
125ml grapeseed oil
125ml soya milk

Heat the treacle, sugar, golden syrup and ginger syrup until everything has melted together. Leave to cool (this is important! If it's too hot the cake will collapse).

Meanwhile mix together everything else in a food processor to roughly chop the dates and ginger. Add the cooled sugar/syrup and pulse quickly to bring it together. Pour into lined loaf tins and bake in a moderate (150 degree) oven for an hour or so. The cakes last well and get stickier over a week or you can slice and freeze ready for lunches.

1 comment:

  1. This is delicious! Exactly what I was looking for. I made a few alterations:
    I didn't have treacle so I replaced it with date syrup. I also skipped the golden syrup and used more dates and ginger syrup instead. 1/2 tsp bicarb didn't seem like enough raising agent for 250g plain flour to me so I used 3 tsp baking powder, this seemed about right. And I think my teaspoons of ginger were overgenerous - but you can't have too much ginger! The result is really yummy, I am just trying not to add up the amount of sugar that went in...

    ReplyDelete