Thursday 14 July 2011

Lentil Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Mash (v)



I fancied this, so I made it...

For 3-4 portions you need:
1/2 cup puy lentils
1/2 cup green lentils
1 bay leaf
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp vecon stock paste
salt and pepper
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
250ml red wine
2 tbsp tomato puree
3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2-3 tbsp soya milk
1 small knob vegan marge
Generous grating of whole nutmeg
Salt and pepper.

Wash the lentils, then place in a pan with the bay leaf. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 10 mins then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-30 mins till the lentils are soft but not mushy.

Meanwhile sautee the onion, garlic and carrot in the oil for 10 mins. Add the tomatoes, puree, wine, salt, pepper, oregano and stock. Cook for 10-15 mins till thickened. Once the lentils are done, drain and add to the tomato sauce. Mix well.

Cook the potatoes in a pan with a little water. Drain, mash with the milk and marge. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place the filling in a dish and top with the mash. Bake in a hot oven for 15 mins or so till the mash has browned slightly. Serve with veg or as is...

4 comments:

  1. This looks insanely delicious! I've just taken the vegan pledge and I think I will definitely be giving this a go! Your blog was recommended to me today and will a frequent visitor for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the look of it. The base makes a lot but I like it as pasta sauce etc too and it freezes well. Hope you find other recipes tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and it was brilliant, Becka! I saved some of the lentils and froze them to have on pasta or something another time. My boyfriend and non-vegan/vegetarian housemate were both really impressed! I will definitely be making it again. I have a portion saved in the fridge for a little lunch! Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay glad it was a success. Let me know of any more recipes you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete