Sunday 16 May 2010

Savoury Mince

I know it's passe to admit this, but I actually really miss not eating meat. I don't eat it cos I don't agree we need to kill animals in order to survive. But that doesn't mean that I don't have pangs for some of my childhood favourites sometimes. This recipe is an attempt to recreate the delicious savoury mince my mum would make when I was little. She would serve it with home made chips, triple cooked to crispy and golden perfection, and peas. And I would sigh in contentment as I tucked in. Of course this can't taste the same, but it comes pretty close. I guess it could also be called unami mince as it contains so many different things with unami...!

For 4-6 people you need:
1 packet quorn mince
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp plain flour
350ml boiling water
1 tsp dark veg stock paste (e.g. vecon)
1 tsp veg stock powder
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp each hendersons relish and mushroom ketchup
1/2 tsp marmite
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
pepper (NO salt!)

Begin by sauteeing the onion in the oil for about 10 mins until golden. Add the flour and garlic and cook out the flour for a few mins. Add the quorn mince and the water and stir thoroughly. Add the remaining ingredients, checking carefully for taste and adjusting as necessary. Cook for about 20 mins till thickened and tasty. Serve with sautee potatoes and some vegetables. Feel nostalgic...

1 comment: