Monday 3 May 2010

Buttermilk Scones




After a disastrous batch of scones using a Rose Elliott recipe a few weeks back, I have returned to my favourite recipe; Nigella's Lily's scones. But I used buttermilk this time for the first time. I was a bit suprised by the consistency of this as it's like thin yougurt. I'd expected something thinner. But it worked, and the scones were amazingly light. They needed longer than normal to cook (40 mins for some of them) but they were the best I have ever made. In my humble opinion ;-)

For about 20 scones you need:
325ml buttermilk
500g plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
4.5 tsp cream of tartar
75g butter, cubed
1 egg, beaten (for the egg wash)
1 spoon sugar (to sprinkle on the top before baking).

Place the flour, soda, tartar and butter in to a food processor and blitz till combined. Add the buttermilk and form it into a dough. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about an inch and cut into scones. Place on a flour dusted baking sheet and brush with egg wash and then sprinkle over with sugar. Nigella says to squish them together but she's wrong as they don't cook evenly so make sure you spread them out. Bake for 15-40 mins (keep an eye on them) till risen, golden brown and cooked. Eat with lashings of clotted cream and strawberry jam. Feel very very fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment