Thursday 26 January 2012

Mary Berry's Chocolate Chip Cookies



I am in the throes of moving, so when I came across a recipe that used a can of condensed milk I thought to myself "a-ha!" as I always have some of this in the cupboard. And in the cupboard it sits. Lonely. Sad. Unloved. As I never know what to do with it, other than open the can, scoff it with a spoon and then feel really _really_ sick. My bro gave me Mary Berry's Baking Bible for my Xmas pressie and this recipe can be found in there. They're a cinch to make, and they freeze well too :) I have adapted the recipe slightly by using 100g white chocolate chips as I like the contrast of white with plain chocolate and they're sold in bags of 100g so why not chuck in the extra 35g I ask you....

For about 24-32 cookies (depending on how big yer gob is...) you need:
397g tin of condensed milk
50g butter
200g plain chocolate
225g self raising flour
100g white chocolate chips

Melt the butter and chocolate. Leave to cool slightly. Mix in everything else and then leave to chill until stiffened (this only takes 15 mins or so and it doesn't need to go in the fridge).

Pinch out quantities about the size of a walnut and roll into balls. Flatten slightly on to the baking sheet, leaving space for them to spread. I easily got 9 onto each baking sheet. Bake at 160 degrees for about 12 mins. Leave to cool slightly then transfer to a cooling rack.



2 comments:

  1. Hmm - tempted to try this to use up condensed milk I have, but I only have Flora Light, not butter - will it still work? Bear with me, I'm a novice so I don't know the difference between Flora and Butter when cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it'll be ok, might make the mixture a bit softer as its softer than butter but won't be a total disaster.

    ReplyDelete